In 1876, the Woman’s Friend Society was founded to inspire and encourage habits of industry and self-
reliance in women. In the 21st Century, as a Charitable Corporation (1884), the Society’s mission
continues with a focus of providing a transitional living environment for women who are in school and/or
working. Emmerton House is maintained with monies derived from rents, donations, grants and the Society
The Residence Manager is responsible for the efficient operation and maintenance of the Emmerton House.
This position and its activities are guided by the Resident Committee and Executive Director. The
position’s direct supervisor in matters of job performance, benefits, and other related matters are
handled and directed by the Executive Director. This is a part-time position.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
???- Set a positive and engaging tone for a Residential Environment.
- Work with the Executive Director and Residence Chair and/or Residence Committee delegate to
coordinate the in-take process of applicants from application to acceptance.
- Facilitate new Resident move-in.
- Ensure resident compliance with Emmerton House policies and procedures.
- Investigate and document complaints, disturbances and violations of the Society’s rules and
regulations, reporting to the Executive Director and Residence Committee, resolving whenever
- Communicate regularly as issues arise, provide regular written status reports to the Resident
Committee and the Board.
- Coordinate and participate in the annual Review of the Residents with the Residence Committee
- Coordinate twice yearly Fire Drills and Room inspections.
- Oversee housekeeping and contractors work quality at Emmerton House.
- Provide written documentation of planned and executed tasks along with recommendations for
additional work, replacement of vendor, issues or concerns to Executive Director and Residence
- Confirm all invoices from vendors for work performed have been completed and submit to the
Treasurer and Bookkeeper.
- Coordinate room availability and in-house moves by residents.
- Attend all Residence Committee meetings and present monthly report.
- Contribute to the revision of Resident Committee’s policies and procedures to ensure the
Society’s standards are being met.
- Assist with the preparation of any reports and proposals as directed by the Resident Chair,
President or Executive Director.
- Setup & Breakdown meeting rooms and coffee as needed
- Residence Housing Management or housing social services experience expected.
- Special preference given to those currently on a Social Work degree track.
- General computer skills including Excel & Microsoft Word.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong organizational and record keeping skills.
- Have ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Have experience and competence in working with diverse populations.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, optimistic person used to multi-tasking and prioritization who
is a quick learner, has an empathetic ear and a confident demeanor. This is a great position for someone
working towards a career with a nonprofit. A background check will be required for this position.